2011 has got to be the year of the half ironman distance triathlon for me, and the training is aimed at being able to swim 1,9km, bike 90km, and run half a marathon on the 3rd of July. Last year I did just a single sprint triathlon at 500m swim, 20km bike, and 5km run, without having any particular problems with the distance. Before that sprint triathlon I did a self-paced sprint triathlon of the same distance to better understand the distance without participating in an actual race.
In a half ironman a lot more unknowns enter the game. For instance:
- can I do the distance? In time?
- which effort can I sustain over such a period of time?
- what kind of training do I need?
- what’s my current fitness level for this distance?
- what do I still need to train?
- all the stuff I haven’t thought of…
To have answers to have all these questions when I toe the line on the 3rd of July, I’ll be repeating a self-paced triathlon this year – except this time it will be a self-paced half ironman distance triathlon.
Should be loads of fun – you can come and join if you want – for the entire event or just part of it. Venues are:
* swim: sportfondsenbad Amsterdam Oost
* bike start: Sportfondsenbad Oost
* run start: to be decided
The event will take place on the 16th of April in Amsterdam, Netherlands for anyone who cares to join. The event can be found and tracked on:
- Endomondo here: http://www.endomondo.com/event/838098
- Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=124035681003753